8.05.2013

"a garden in bloom that you haven't seen yet..."

Maybe I can only write about this topic because I’m not currently in the throes of uncertainty. But I can recall so many moments of feeling crippled by the agony of hope and helplessness of waiting. This thought, from the lovely book 1,001 Ways to Live in the Moment, acquainted me with comfort at one such moment.



This quote brought me considerably less comfort: “Maturity is the capacity to endure uncertainty.” (John Huston Finley) If that’s the case, I’m still in emotional kindergarten.

One perk of keeping a journal is witnessing the path from despair, to pinprick of hope, to relief and resolution—again and again. I am so sincerely lost when I write some entries, but know that future pages, currently empty, will eventually be filled with answers. Life requires us to be in the dark sometimes, but God always promises dawn. Faith is often just confident waiting. In his address “The Infinite Power of Hope,” Dieter F. Uchtdorf says:

“No matter how bleak the chapter of our lives may look today, because of the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we may hope and be assured that the ending of the book of our lives will exceed our grandest expectations.”

I love that.