4.07.2013

Let's give ourselves more credit, shall we?


I spend lots of energy obsessing about my to-do list. The book StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath helped me see that one of my 'strengths' is being an achiever. 

"[Achievers] feel as if every day starts at zero. By the end of the day you must achieve something tangible in order to feel good about yourself."

Pretty sure being an achiever is the worst! Because I'm rarely satisfied with my efforts. I seem only to focus on the tangible evidences of my ineptitude, taunted by Pisa-like towers of dirty dishes, bulging baskets of laundry, Em's dangerously long fingernails I still haven't managed to clip (why do their little nails grow so quickly?)

Overlooking evidence of my successes, I cross things off my list without pausing to revel in their completion. Sounds like a surefire recipe for malcontent, doesn't it? Sometimes I specialize in dissatisfaction. Not only is the glass half empty, it's filthy and cracked too.
                                                                                                           
But I found a way to help guide myself back into the realm of sparkling, half-full glasses. When I begin feeling like I haven't done enough in a day, I stop and make a mental list of everything I have accomplished. Really small things make it onto the list, like brushing my teeth and putting on a bra. Like making it to 10 a.m. before surrendering Em to Netflix. Like forgoing Marshmallow Matey’s in favor of Rice Chex.

Sometimes it really works.